Stuffed Bell Pepper With Riced Cauliflower
Its been a while since I’ve eaten stuffed peppers! I must say I wasn’t disappointed in this recipe. It was juicy and savory.
- 4 large bell peppers (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cups small riced cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon Pinch of salt plus 1/2 teaspoon, divided
- 1 teaspoon Pinch of ground pepper plus 1/4 teaspoon, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound lean ground beef or alternative
- 2 cloves garlic, 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese as garnish
- Bacon as garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice off stem ends of bell peppers. Cut the flesh from the stem and chop. You should have about 1 cup. Scoop out seeds from the pepper cavities. Steam the peppers or place in microwave until peppers start to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil, the chopped bell pepper and onion. Cook, stirring, until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add beef, garlic, paprika, onion powder and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon just until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and the cauliflower rice; stir to coat.
- Add 1 bag of Birds Eye Riced Cauliflower into mixture. Cook, stirring, until softened and starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl. Then, add cheddar cheese to mixture.
- Place the peppers upright in an 8-inch square baking dish. Fill each pepper with a generous 1 cup of the cauliflower rice mixture. Top each pepper with 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Bake until the filling is heated through and the cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes.
Taste as you go and don’t be afraid to change the plan. Go with the flow.