Makes 5 servings:
- 10 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 Cups basil leaves
- 1 Cup baby spinach 3 garlic cloves
- ½ Cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ Cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 Cup olive oil
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts
- Measure 8 cups of cold water into a large pot. Turn burner to high and bring water to a boil.
- Once water is at a rolling boil, add pasta to water. Cook pasta until it is ‘al dente.’
This will take around 15 minutes.
- Make the pesto while the pasta is boiling. Turn off the stove burner and drain the noodles in a strainer, shaking off excess water.
- Return the noodles a bowl
- Nut Free Pesto: Wash basil; tear the washed basil leaves from the stem.
- Combine the basil, spinach, garlic, Parmesan, salt, and pepper into a blender or
food processor. Blend until ingredients are fully mixed into a ‘sauce-like’ consistency, roughly 30 seconds. While blending, add oil in a steady stream until all oil has been used.
- Top the pasta with pesto sauce.
- Garnish with Walnuts.