Sausage – Stuffed Mushrooms
- 8 Ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 32 large Cremini mushrooms (approx. 2 inches in diameter)
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, mild or hot
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish(optional)
- Place one oven rack in the middle position and another rack in the top position. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Set a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Put the cream cheese in a large bowl and set aside.
- Separate the mushroom stems from the caps. Chop 1 cup of stems, then set them aside.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium – heat, stirring often to crumble, about 8 minutes. Drain the fat, then pour the warm sausage over the cream cheese.
- Saute the chopped mushroom stems in the same skillet until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped spinach and saute for another 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add Spinach and mushroom mixture to the bowl with sausage and cream cheese. Mix well to incorporate.
- Stuff the mushroom caps with the sausage mixture. Place the mushrooms on the wire rack on the baking sheet.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft and the tops are golden brown. Transfer the pan to the top rack in the oven and boil on high until bubbly and golden brown, 1 to to minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with parsley.